Wednesday 18 November 2009

Learning Styles: What style am I?


While trying to find out what learning style suits me best I mainly focused on two different learning models, these being the KOLB and VAK method. These are not the only models of learning styles available but after understanding them more and running through a number of questionnaires I realized that both these styles are relevant to how we all learn everyday.


In 1984 David Kolb theorized that people develop a favorite type of learning method that helps them absorb information better in a learning environment. To do this people must have a basic understanding in what these different styles are before they learn what their own is. Most people do have a slight idea of how they learn best (me being one of them) even if they don’t full understand what is involved to help them learn better.

With the KOLB model I took a two level program starting with a test that defines a basic style of what you are (Activist, Reflector, Theorist, and Pragmatist), followed by a graph that would determine a more rounded style that I am, I would plot the graph by using the information from the test (the more rounded styles being one of the following, Accommodator, Diverger, Converger, or Assimilator).


The second learning style that I would be researching is the VAK method that uses the three main sensory receivers, Visual (learn by observing), Auditory (learn by listening), and Kinesthetic (learning by doing/moving). As you would believe people learn by using all these different methods at the same time but according to the VAK theory, one or two of these receiving styles are more dominant than the other. The dominant style then defines how we learn best; this may not always be the case though because while doing different tasks we may use one specific method more, but while performing a different task we may use the two different ones. Even through a person’s academic life you can see where these styles are used more dominantly. From Kinesthetic being very young, moving onto a more Visual style of learning in around high school, and then onto being more Auditory in college and university.


To find out what type of style I would be (while already having a slight idea) I would complete a 30 question multiple choice test giving me a result at the end of what style is more dominant.

While researching KOLB I went through an exercise to understand what my style is and how it could help me in the future in regard to an easier way to absorb knowledge. The exercise had me rating four statements from 1 to 4 and how they suited me best (best being 4), these statements ranged from “I like to be doing things” to “I like to watch”. Once this was completed I had to total each section, not fully knowing what style I would be yet. Once the calculations were complete I found out that I was actually more Pragmatist with a close second going to Activist.


This is a graph of the results from the 1st part of the KOLB exercise.


In the next section I was told to calculate the results from the totals, this would give me a more rounded look at the exact learning style I am. The way this was done was by taking my Theorist score minus the Activist score resulting in -5, and then taking the Pragmatist score minus the Reflector score resulting in a 5. After plotting these scores onto another graph it came out with my final result that was Accommodator (learning by doing and feeling).

The Accommodator has quality's ranging from thriving on competition, risk‑taking, and excitement, to working well with people, and making a great leader. Finally the Accommodator also has dislikes that range from passive learning (listening, watching and reading) to repetitive practice.


During the VAK learning style test I was asked to answer 30 multiple choice (of a possible 3 answers) questions that would define my learning style and show me what style is more dominant in certain situations. For example I was asked “If I have to complain about faulty goods, I am most comfortable”, with me answering “taking the item back to the store or posting it to head office”. After answering all the questions I was told to calculate how many A’s, B,s and C’s I had answered, with the results being A’s equaling 10, B’s equaling 4 and C’s having the majority answered being 16. My result was C which was a Kinesthetic style of learning.


Out of both tests it has been shown that I have a more hands on approach when it comes to learning, and that I work best when pressure is on or if I’m working in some type of group. I had a slight idea that this would be result from the beginning, but the results also showed me that apart from learning better with a more hands on approach I also like to learn visually in some cases. Knowing this information of what style I am and about the other styles can only better me in my studies at university.